I love cream and jam scones better than fruit, cheese or cherry ones and even more so now I can make my own. I normally buy scones from the supermarket but thought how hard can they be to make myself.
The best part is I am hopeless in the kitchen, the smoke alarm cheers me on as I bake and cook but I am trying to gain a little more confidence and yes if you read the many amazing food blogs out there my images and finishing touches are nothing in comparison, but I hope this will encourage you to try too.
How to make cream and jam scones the easy way
- 50g butter
- 225g self-raising flour
- 25g caster sugar
- Large pinch of salt
- 150ml milk
- 1 tsp of baking powder
Preparation And Method:
- Preheat oven to 220C/425F/Gas Mark 7
- Grease a baking tray or line it with baking parchment
- In a mixing bowl measure out the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix together.
- Add the butter, rub the ingredients together with your fingertips until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar and mix well
- Add the milk and stir everything together. Knead the mixture together with your hands until you have formed a stiff dough.
- Clean your worktop and dust it with flour, Gently roll out your dough on the worktop until its 2cms thick
- Dip and coat your biscuit cutters with flour to stop the dough sticking and cut out circles
- Put your scones on the baking tray, brush them with milk and cook them for 12-15 minutes
- Leave your scones to cool on a cooling rack for 5 minutes
- Serve with butter and cream and jam
Will you be trying the cream and jam scones?
Which scone is your favourite?