Some may already know that my 7-year-old daughter received a cigarette burn on the eye on Monday afternoon and I wanted to share here our trauma as it may help another mother out there and also to thank everyone for the overwhelming support we have received.
How she got a cigarette burn on the eye
A close family friend came for coffee on her hour break from work, we enjoyed a coffee and she offered to give me a lift to the school to collect the 3 younger children so she could see them. We collected the children and once home the 3 of them ran outside to play.
Tasha, my friend went out into the backyard and lit a cigarette, she was in the yard, the children were up the steps, on the grass area on the trampoline.
One of my elder children asked her something, she stepped closer to out patio doors so she could hear and in doing so she held her cigarette, behind her back, armed stretched far back as she could.
Without warning, we heard a scream, a blood-curdling scream.
Kia had got off the trampoline, ran across the grass, down the steps into the yard and ran straight into the cigarette that was held behind my friends back.
It hit her straight in the eye.
I grabbed her, ran to the sink with her, rinsed her eye as much as I could, my friend stood frozen to the spot, the other kids just looking terrified.
I have no idea how I didn’t copy suit, I was shaking with fear.
Yet I think adrenalin kicked in, I rang the doctors, told them we were coming.
I told my friend to get in the car, I text my ex-husband to get him to my house to sit with the other children , who of course were all in shock and were terrified.
We raced to the doctor’s surgery and had to sit and wait for 15 minutes, I was very close to screaming at the receptionist.
A nurse saw her first then called a doctor through but he could not open her eye, we were told to go straight to A and E.
The doctor did give her some Calpol. I had not thought too, I was too busy trying to rinse out as much hot ash out of her eye as I could and then get to her to the doctors as quickly as possible, thinking they could help.
I should have phoned an ambulance
We arrived at A and E and to be fair the receptionist buzzed straight away for a doctor, we were seen within 10 minutes and the doctor I can only praise.
He took time and reassured us all, Kia was amazing, she must have been in so much pain.
She was given numbing drops into the eye and then had it cleaned.
You could see the burnt skin hanging under her eye.
It was horrific.
We were then sent up 3 floors where we had to wait 2 hours to be seen my an eye specialist, Kia finally sobbed herself to sleep on my lap in the waiting room.
I never normally have a bad thing to say about our hospitals, but 2 hours with a young child who was in severe pain?
Do they not prioritize?
The gentleman who was called in before we were told the doctor he would rather wait and let Kia be seen, I thanked him.
Again more dye was placed into her eye and they were able to check in detail, her sight is just fine but the cornea has been burnt.
This they assure me will rectify itself.
The other burns are superficial, she has a large burn under her eye and her bottom and top lids are burnt too.
When your child is hurt your life stops literally, your heart stops beating for those few moments until you pull yourself together and just deal with it – to say I was beside myself with worry is an understatement it’s been horrific.
As for the cigarette burn to the eye, it was a freak accident but you can’t help but blame yourself.
I am amazed by her courage and strength.
I can’t help but question why I wasted time, should I have just phoned 999 for an ambulance?
Update – There is no lasting damage and miraculously no scarring.